Here are some of my thoughts and concerns regarding my first attempt at a 50k trail run. If you’re an ultra-runner I would love to hear your feedback and suggestions.
After separating my shoulder last year, I have once again started training. Every week I have been slowly increasing my miles and elevation, and monitoring my heart rate.
As for location, I think I’m going to choose the Wissahickon in Philadelphia. I can get about 27 miles and 3500 ft without repeat, and I can drop back down to the car at any point if I need to re-hydrate, or god forbid I get hurt.
1) I’ve never attempted anything close to this distance yet.
2) As a fasted athlete who only eats one meal a day (OMAD), I’m not sure if I can go the whole distance without eating.
3) I typically never worry about pace when I run, but for this ultra attempt I will have to monitor my effort more closely.
4) I would like to try and do the loop without walking, not sure if this is possible.
5) Can I do this unassisted as a solo adventure?
6) Hydration issues and shoe troubles.
Links to relevant videos:
Hoka Torrent 3 Review
Salomon Advanced Skin 12 Review
My first trail race
Footage notes: Most shots were taken at Saunders Nature Preserve, Kenealy Park, Rolling Hill Park, and Hollow Woods in Gladwyne PA. Additional B-roll shots were taken from Bear Rocks in Andreas PA and the Lower Merion HS Track.
#TrailRunning #Ultra #Running #OMAD #FastedAthlete #Run #Training
If you like what you see, or have some feedback/questions, feel free to contact me. If you enjoyed the video “Join Now” for extra perks, or “Subscribe” to see more content like this.
Help support the channel at:
Trail Sage Apparel and Gear